All of us deal with everyday stressors. Though exceptional events like the loss of a job or the death of a family member will cause a great deal of stress, the demands of everyday responsibilities and routine can build up over time and create a lot of stress.
Tips and ideas to help positively manage everyday stress:
1. Remind yourself that it takes time and commitment to make changes.
2. Determine the maximum amount of stress you can handle, and try not to exceed it.
3. Learn to say “no” to activities that are not priority.
4. Do the best you can; no one is perfect.
5. Get one thing done each day. Make a “to do” list of the things that you want to be completed. Cross things off your list when they are done so that you can see that you are making progress. At the same time, do not allow the list to stress you.
6. Get moving! Try to fit in time to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Add this to your “to do” list.
7. Eat healthy. Make sure to include at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily and limit the sugar and fat.
8. Limit or better yet, eliminate caffeine, alcohol and tobacco use.
9. Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day.
10. Talk to a friend or family member who is a good listener when you are stressed.
11. Laugh! Humor is proven to help ease the stress of a situation.
12. Make time for hobbies and activities that give you joy!
13. Be flexible! Know that some things will not go your way.
14. Learn ways to change or limit stressful situations when possible. Example: Try mindful breathing or walking.
15. If you stress begins to overwhelm you, visit your doctor or other healthcare professionals.
Source: Michigan State University Extension