The next opportunity to donate blood in Wayne County will be at the Collinwood Freewill Baptist Church on Wednesday, June 30th from 2-6pm at the Red Cross Bloodmobile. Appointment times are still available.
The American Red Cross offers the following tips and guidelines for blood donations:
1. Please bring your donor card, driver’s license, or two other forms of identification.
2. We’ll need to know about all prescription and over-the-counter medications you’re taking.
3. Drink an extra 16 oz. of water (or other nonalcoholic drink) before your appointment.
4. Eat a healthy meal, avoiding fatty foods like hamburgers, fries, or ice cream.
5. Wear a shirt with sleeves that you can roll up above your elbows.
6. Let us know if you have a preferred arm or particular vein that has been used successfully in the past to draw blood.
7. Relax, listen to music, talk to other donors or read while you donate.
After your blood donation, you should:
1. Relax for a few minutes in our refreshment & recovery area — have some cookies or other snacks — you’ve earned it!
2. Tell others about your good deed – the gratification of giving blood is a feeling you’ll want to share!
3. Drink an extra four (8 oz.) glasses of liquids and avoid alcohol over the next 24 hours.
Additional tips for after your donation:
1. Keep the strip bandage on for the next several hours; to avoid a skin rash, clean the area around the bandage with soap and water.
2. Don’t do any heavy lifting or vigorous exercise for the rest of the day.
3. If the needle site starts to bleed, apply pressure and raise your arm straight up for 5-10 minutes or until bleeding stops.
3. Call the Red Cross at 1-866-236-3276 to report any additional health information that you forgot to tell us, if you have any problems, or if you needed medical care after giving blood.
4. If you experience dizziness or lightheadedness, stop what you’re doing and sit down or lie down until you feel better; avoid performing any activity where fainting may lead to injury for at least 24 hours.
5. Keep eating iron-rich foods.
6. If you donate frequently, be sure to take multivitamins with iron to ensure you continue to replenish your iron stores before your next donation.